When Lightning questions Mater over whether the events in the story actually occurred, Mater always says, "Don't you remember? You was there, too!" (or some other variation). Then, Mater continues to tell the story, including Lightning's sudden participation. The episodes end with Mater leaving the scene, often followed by characters or references to the story that was being told, suggesting that the story might be real.
- Larry the Cable Guy as Mater
- Keith Ferguson as Lightning McQueen
- Jenifer Lewis as Flo
- Cheech Marin as Ramone
- Paul Dooley as Sarge
- George Carlin as Fillmore
- Tony Shalhoub as Luigi
- Gregg Berger as Referee Pitty
- Frank Welker as Dr. Frankenwagon's Monster, Tractors, Chuy the Bulldozer,Dr. Frankenwagon
- James Rankin as Dr. Feel Bad,
- Fred Dalton Thompson as Big D
- Dan Castellaneta as Stinky
- Whoopi Goldberg as Carmen The Carbacabana Girl
- Clint Howard as Clyde
- Gord Robertson as Announcer #1
- Neil Crone as Announcer #2
- Robert Ito as Ito-San
- Tuc Watkins as I-Screamer
- Hulk Hogan as Captain Collision
- Simon Petrie as Rasta Carian
- Lance Henriksen as Paddy O'Concrete
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Norm Jives
- Frank Meschkuleit as Corporal Kim, Tormentor's Biggest Fan
- Jim Calder as Captain Munier
- Sean McCann as Dex
- Matt Ficner as Metal Mover Pitty
- Jim Cummings as Rescue Squad Trooper
- Taborah Johnson as Rescue Squad Ambulance
- Eric Stuart as Falcon Hawk Leader
- Grey DeLisle as Green Hawk
- Diedrich Bader as Black Hawk
- Dan Redican as Red Hawk
- Carol Alt as Rescue Squad Chopper
- Peter Siragusa as Luigi and Guido's Customer
- Stacy Keach as Skipper
- John Michael Higgins as Stanley
- Katherine Helmond as Lizzie
- Jonathan Adams as Judge Davis
- Lindsey Collins as Mia
- Elissa Knight as Tia
The DVD/Blu-ray release of Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales included in its bonus features several abandoned concepts of Tall Tales:
Tales from Radiator Springs
- Main article: Cars Toons: Tales from Radiator Springs
Disney Channel debuted three new 90 seconds shorts during an airing of Up on March 22, 2013. Categorized as "Shorty Shorts", the three shorts are named Hiccups, Bugged and Spinning. All three are directed by Jeremy Lasky and produced by Mary Alice Drumm. They are the first Cars Toons not to revolve around Mater.
Larry the Cable Guy, Michael Wallis, Guido Quaroni, Lindsey Collins, and Elissa Knight reprise their voice roles from the films. Owen Wilson did not return to voice Lightning McQueen, who is replaced by voice actor Keith Ferguson in all episodes. Though Nathan Stanton claims that Lloyd Sherr, who voiced Fillmore in Cars 2, replaced the late George Carlin in the series, Carlin is credited at the end of several Cars Toons.
According to an online catalogue from Disney Publishing Worldwide, "new racing-themed toons" will be released in 2013. Another Disney merchandise magazine states "many more" new Cars Toon shorts are in development. They will be released as bonuses on DVDs, on Disney Channel, Disney XD and other digital platforms; Some of these episodes will debut at cinemas as a preview to other animated films. According to Disney Brochure 2013, one of the new episodes will be released in June 2013, and two more will be released in September.
It was announced that Cars Toons were to be released as part of the Disney·Pixar Cars Die-Cast Line, in mid-2009. In October 2009, they released several die-casts. Die-casts have been released for all episodes of season 1. They have produced die-casts for all of season 2's shorts except for Mater Private Eye.
A video game based on the Mater's Tall Tales series called "Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales" was released in October 2010 on the Wii and PC.
On November 2, 2010, all 7 Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales episodes, plus the next 2 episodes exclusively, were released on DVD and Blu-ray, the same day on which Toy Story 3 was released on DVD and Blu-ray. With the exception of Mater the Greater, which is played first in the collection, the episodes have corresponding opening sequences of Mater appearing and saying "If I'm lyin', I'm cryin'" in different ways, when the viewer selects the "play all" option.