August 9, 2013 (United States)
Fall 2013 (United States)
90% want to see. (Fresh)
From the Cars Official Website:
"From high above the world of "Cars," flies "Planes," Disney's upcoming animated action-packed comedic adventure starring Dusty, a big-hearted, fast-flying crop duster who dreams of competing in the most exhilarating around-the-world air race in history. There's only a couple of not-so-small problems - Dusty is not exactly built for racing and he also happens to be afraid of heights.
Despite his fear and with encouragement from his mentor, a naval aviator named Skipper, Dusty narrowly qualifies for the big competition. Dusty's sportsmanship and speed begin to rattle the defending champ of the race circuit, Ripslinger, who will stop at nothing to see Dusty fail.
When disaster strikes during the climax of the final race, Dusty's courage is put to the ultimate t
- Dane Cook: Dusty Crophopper the main protagonist of the film.
- Stacy Keach: Skipper Dusty's mentor and the triagonist.
- Carlos Alazraqui: El Chupacabra the deuteragonist.
- Danny Mann: Sparky
- Brad Garrett: Chug
- Teri Hatcher: Dottie
- Roger Craig Smith: Ripslinger the dictator of team RPX and also the main antagonist.
- John Cleese: Bulldog a British plane who doesn't cry and the secondary triagonist.
- Priyanka Chopra: Ishani a plane from India and Dusty's love interest.
- Julia-Louis Dreyfus: Rochelle El Chu's love interest.
- Cedric the Entertainer: Leadbottom
- Gabriel Igesias: Ned and Zed the secondary antagonists.
- Brent Musburger: Brent Mustangburger
- Anthony Edwards: Echo
- Sinbad: Roper
Lasseter had this to say about the film:
|||We had such a great time exploring the world of Cars over the course of two films, so it seemed only natural for us to see where our imaginations would take us in a film where planes were the main characters. By expanding the Cars world, Planes gave us a whole new set of fun-filled situations and a great opportunity to introduce some fantastic new characters. The team at DisneyToon Studios has done such an amazing job creating a heartfelt story filled with great comedy, adventure, and emotion. I know audiences are going to love taking off into the wild blue yonder with these daredevil characters, as they experience a whole new kind of animated adventure.|||
On August 20, 2011 at the D23 Expo it was announced that Jon Cryer will be the voice of the main protagonist Dusty. However, Cryer dropped out of production and was replaced by Dane Cook. On February 27, 2013, the teaser trailer was re-released with dialogue from Cook instead of Cryer.
James Seymour Brett is set to write the film's score.
The film was first announced to be released in direct-to-video on DVD and Blu-ray in the Spring of 2013. Disney subsequently pushed it back to Fall 2013, while it was confirmed it would have a theatrical release in Europe. It was finally set to be released theatrically on August 9, 2013. It will be released in the United Kingdom on August 16, 2013.
Besides the Planes trilogy, DisneyToon is considering to make more spin-offs that would feature other vehicles like boats and trains, and which may go into production if the Planes series is well received. John Lasseter said: "I kept thinking about—I’m a big train fanatic. I love trains. And I started thinking about trains, and boats and airplanes. And I kept wanting to have more and more of those type of characters. [...] It’s one of the ideas, that there will be an ongoing series. It almost starts getting into this thing where we fall in love with these plane characters, we want to see more and more stories with them. And then you start doing other vehicles and stuff like that. Yeah. So it kind of is a bigger idea that can keep expanding."
To create a transition between Cars and Planes, Disney launched a product collection called "Cars Take Flight", which focuses on releasing merchandise for Cars Toons episodes Moon Mater and Air Mater. The line features die-cast, race tracks, games and books. A "Cars Take Flight" event was held on September 14th, 2012 at the Chicagoland Speedway. A "Cars Take Flight" official website launched a contest whose prize was a vacation to Cars Land.
- The Cars Toons episode Air Mater introduced elements of Planes, including Propwash Junction, Skipper and Sparky. Also, at the end, Mater says that they should make a movie about planes, which Skipper's assistant Sparky says that's a good idea.
- Anthony Edwards and Val Kilmer, both of Top Gun fame, voice two F-14 Tomcats (the type of plane used in Top Gun) as cameos.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Disney Officially Announces PLANES, a Direct-to-DVD Spin-Off of Pixar’s CARS
- ↑ Disney Sets Cars Spinoff Planes for a Theatrical Release
- ↑ Box Office Mojo
- ↑ 
- ↑ <includeonly>[[Category:Pages with broken references]]</includeonly><span class="citeerror">Cite error: Invalid <code><ref></code> tag; no text was provided for refs named <code>blog1</code></span>
- ↑ <includeonly>[[Category:Pages with broken references]]</includeonly><span class="citeerror">Cite error: Invalid <code><ref></code> tag; no text was provided for refs named <code>CS</code></span>
- ↑ <includeonly>[[Category:Pages with broken references]]</includeonly><span class="citeerror">Cite error: Invalid <code><ref></code> tag; no text was provided for refs named <code>hwr</code></span>
- ↑ New Trailer for Disney's Planes Flies In
- ↑ 
- ↑ Disney Changes 'Planes' Release Date
- ↑ INTERVIEW: Anna Chapman, Disney
- ↑ Exclusive: DisneyToon Already Working on Planes Sequel
- ↑ <includeonly>[[Category:Pages with broken references]]</includeonly><span class="citeerror">Cite error: Invalid <code><ref></code> tag; no text was provided for refs named <code>AVTrilogy</code></span>
- ↑ Bradley Raymond dishes dirt on the Disney Channel's "Pixie Hollow Games" TV special
- ↑ Bob Hilgenberg and Rob Muir on the Rise and Fall of Disney’s Circle 7 Animation
- ↑ Disney's 'Cars 2' a Hit Already—in Stores
- ↑ In ‘Cars 2,’ John Lasseter Says Big Oil is the ‘Uber Bad Guy’
- ↑ Disney Toy World Supplement 2012
- ↑ ‘Cars Take Flight’ at Chicagoland Speedway’s Kids Zone This Weekend
- ↑ Cars Take Flight | Disney